Recent Stories
Should I Consider Community College?

The practice of completing undergraduate studies (a bachelor’s degree) by attending a community college then transferring to a local college or university to complete the final two years is called the “feeder school trend.” 

Many community colleges and state universities have developed “articulation agreements,” which are agreements between community colleges and four-year colleges and universities that recognize the credits earned toward degree programs at a four-year institution. The Associate’s degree you earn will essentially cover your freshman and sophomore credits. Institutions in 28 states including Maryland, California, and Arizona have adopted these academic policies. Take a look at the College Partnerships and Articulation Agreement chart to see if schools in your state have these beneficial agreements.

Many students are choosing this route because they can earn credits at a significantly lower cost while preparing academically to attend a four-year program. Increasing percentages of transfer students are students from community colleges.

Still searching for more in-depth assistance regarding your education? Contact your installation’s Voluntary Education staff. 

Adapted from the U.S. Department of VA, “Factors to Consider When Choosing a School.”


Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Outdated Browser