Recent Stories
UPDATE: Marine Corps Spouse Professional Relicensing Reimbursement Rises to $1000

Professional licensing expenses can be a financial burden to Marine families with each permanent change of station (PCS) move. The Marine Corps aims to ease this cost and assist spouses in this transition by updating policy for reimbursement of licensure expenses resulting from a PCS move, increasing the allowable amount for reimbursement to $1,000.

During the past year, 140 Marine Corps families have received nearly $50,000 in fee reimbursements via the Spouse Relicensing Reimbursement Program. “As more spouses become aware of the program and use it, I hope they realize the Marine Corps values them and appreciates the sacrifices made to their own personal careers to support their Marines,” said Lieutenant General Michael A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs. “Increasing this assistance for spouses who need to update their credentials with each move to a new duty station further promotes family readiness.”

What do you need to know?

  • Reimbursements are for licensing costs incurred by spouses arising from PCS to another state.
  • Marine may be reimbursed, up to $500 for PCS orders effective 12 Dec 2017 to 19 Dec 2019 or up to $1,000 for orders effective 20 Dec 2019 or later.
  • Reimbursements will continue for orders effective through 31 Dec 2024.
  • Reimbursements are one per PCS move.
  • Licensure renewal must be for the same profession a spouse engaged in while in a previous duty station.

What is a qualifying expense?

When moving to a new state, spouses accompanying their Marine may need to update a license or certification according to the new state’s requirements.  This provision will help alleviate the financial load of recertification or licensing, and Marines and their spouses can take advantage of this program with each qualifying move. Qualifying costs for this program must be:

  • Imposed by the Marine’s new duty station state for a spouse to secure a license or certification to continue working in the same profession from the state of the previous duty station.
  • Incurred or paid by the member or spouse to secure the license or certification from the state of the new duty station after the date PCS orders are issued.

How does it work?

Spouses who wish to take advantage of this provision may begin the process by bringing the following documentation to their local on-base Personnel Administration Office:

  • A copy of PCS Orders
  • A copy of previous certification/license
  • A copy of new recertification/relicensing document
  • Receipt showing recertification/relicensing fees

Additional details of the reimbursement policy can be found in MARADMIN 091/20 and by contacting your local Family Member Employment Assistance Program (FMEAP) office. For guidance on state laws regarding professional licensing, visit

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Outdated Browser